21

10 Ways To Know You Might Be A Writer

First, let me say I'm not a fan of Jeff Foxworthy. I don't know why, he just bugs me. But this popped into my head today and I've learned to write it down when that happens because you never know, ya know?

10. If you constantly tell your kids to "show not tell" when they begin to relay their daily adventures...you might be a writer.

9. If you're often seen mumbling to yourself or beating your head against the desk while staring at a stark white Word document...you might be a writer.

8. If you correct the grammatical errors in your supervisor's email and send it back to her as a critique...you might be a writer.

7. If your trip to the bookstore has at any time lasted more than five hours or involved squeeing or crying...you might be a writer.

6. If you stare into space trying to think of a word to describe that tree branch up there while the person you are with attempts to carry on a conversation...you might be a writer.

5. If you secretly hope your blind date goes horribly wrong so you'll be able to submit it as a flash fiction piece to that humorous magazine you found last week on Duotrope...you might be a writer.

4. If you cut the fingertips off all of your winter gloves...you might be a writer.

3. If you spit on your friend's copy of Snooki's new novel, not only because trees were harmed unnecessarily in the making of it, but because your first attempt at a romance novel, which now sits covered with dust bunnies under your bed, is better...you might be a writer.

2. If you've dated a librarian, not because you particularly like him, but because you see him more than anyone else...you might be a writer.


And the number one sign that you might be a writer...


1. You immediately look for U,E,R and Y when you discover you've drawn a Q during your family scrabble game.


I may or may not have done one or all of the things on this list. As my daughter used to say, "I'm not telling and you can't make me."

Until next time...

21 comments:

Catherine Stine said...

Guilty of #7. I can totally lose track of time in a good bookstore. Easy to spend a couple hours (and many $$) in one.

Julie Hedlund said...

Love your #1 reason! Funny list.

Grandpa said...

Innocent on all counts...wait a minute, I think I did No. 8 a few times.

Amusing list, Lisa

Like you box for comments, how do you do that?

Lisa Potts said...

Catherine, I always set aside at least two hours when I go to the bookstore.

Thanks, Julie!

Grandpa, I'm afraid I can't take credit for the comment link. It came with the template : )

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Very clever! I especially like the show not tell one LOL.

Kelly Hashway said...

I love this list. I may or may not have done #8 numerous times! And is there a better Scrabble word than query? I really like #6 too. My husband always yells at me for writing in my head instead of listening to him. Oops!

LM Preston said...

Oh this list is so cute. I know for a fact I'm guilty of #6.

Joanna St. James said...

count me guilty of #9 my 2y/o looks at me and shakes his head for me.

Beth said...

Guilty of #9.

Hart Johnson said...

teehee--oh yeah... I've done several of these... Very giggle worthy list, Lisa!

Su said...

I have totally done all of those. Especially #8.

Bast said...

Totally loved this! I'm guilty of a few myself. Although, I don't cut the tips of my gloves ... I just buy gloves already without fingertips.

Lisa_Gibson said...

I know I'm guilty of some of these. I actually considered doing #4 last night. Okay not with ALL my gloves, just one pair. Then I could type without my hands getting too cold. Yay!
Great post.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Golden Eagle said...

I do 9, 7, 6, and 1. LOL.

Jen Albin said...

About to go and do #9!

erica and christy said...

I wouldn't admit this to just anyone - but during boring work meetings, I imagine a keyboard and practice typing out my supervisor's words to increase my keyboarding speed.

Yep, I'm a writer. Thanks for the fun list!
erica

Lisa Potts said...

Whew, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Your comments are as intriguing as the list.

Erica, you've given me something new to try during meetings : )

PT Dilloway said...

I really would have liked to do #2 with this one librarian, though she wasn't even one of the librarians I found out, just the IT person. But then I thought it might be perceived as creepy to ask her out and things would be very awkward every time I went in there if she had said no.

Sondrae Bennett said...

Wait...are trips to the bookstore not supposed to take five hours? Just Kidding. Just found your blog and loving it already!

Lisa Potts said...

Heh, heh, RM, you said #2 ; )

Sondrae, thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

That is really funny. I might have to think of ten to twenty for my own blog.

Catherine

Back to Top