8

Review - The Mockingbirds

From Goodreads:


Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.
Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.


I knew a little bit about this book going in. I knew it was about date rape, and I knew it made reference to Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, one of my all time favorite books. The author brings an important authenticity to this book because she lived through a similar situation while at college and therefore is able to convey the complex emotions felt by Alex, our MC throughout the story. She also shows how icrucial it is to reach out to others for help when something terrible like this happens. Whether it be family, friends or teachers, it's important to the healing process to talk about it rather than let it devour you from the inside out.



The self-doubt felt by Alex throughout the book is something all of us can relate to and it makes her journey of remembering exactly what happened to her that night all the more haunting.  

The message in this book is a vital one and I think every girl should hear it. Bravo, Daisy Whitney.

8 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

Every girl, huh? So I guess I don't need to read it then. Why is it chicks assume guys can't be raped too? I'm going to go write about a guy being date raped by a chick now.

Old Kitty said...

Thanks for the review and info on this book - I've heard so much about it - it's a harrowing tale but glad to know that the author handles this awful issue with such sensitivity and empathy.

Take care
x

Christine Fonseca said...

LOVED LOVED this book!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

wow, sounds like an important read (whether the reader has gone through something like that ot not). Thanks for the review.

Lisa Potts said...

RM, you're right, of course. I'll admit I'm guilty of going with averages. This is an important message for EVERYONE.

Kitty, the author did bring a true perspective to the story because of what she went through.

Christine, I couldn't agree more.

Lynda, it's a great message.

Heather said...

This has been on my to read list for a while. I really need to get with it!

Cally Jackson said...

Thanks for this review. I'm adding it to my To Read list!

Karis Jacobstein said...

Great review! I need to get on to reading this one myself!

Back to Top