7

Book Review - Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers

From Goodreads:

When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?

 This is the first book I've read by Courtney Summers, although after this small taste, I will pick up her others. It has one of the best opening lines I can remember in a long time, “My hands are dying.” What a great set of questions that one raises. The grief Eddie feels throughout and the conflicting emotions that go along with it are expertly conveyed to the reader. I felt what Eddie felt due in no small part to the perfect selection of words chosen by the author.

The book is relatively short (224 pages) but doesn't skimp on the character development. The only thing I felt myself wishing for as a reader was a look from Eddie's best friend, Milo's, point of view. Then I stumbled on this link the other day from one of  Courtney's blog posts where she had written a short story just prior to the release of Fall For Anything told from his perspective (no spoilers) and really enjoyed it. You can also read the first five chapters for free here.

So have you read any YA lately dealing with edgy subjects? Or do you tend to stick to the HEA endings?

7 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

Well technically everyone's hands are dying--just like the rest of our bodies!

Old Kitty said...

Thanks for the review and info of this book. I like how there's a short story as a sort of prelude to the book! It certainly whets the appetite!

Oooh and thanks for the links too! Take care
x

Lydia Kang said...

Sounds like a really interesting book. Thanks for the review, I'll look out for it now!

Lissa said...

I loved the first line, too. What a wonderful, heartbreaking book.

Su said...

Sounds cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

To answer the question: I just finished Like Mandarin, which is not exactly HEA. It was definitely edgy-- at least, compared to most stuff I read.

Unknown said...

Very interesting first line. I'd love to know what comes after that, like what she means by her hands dying! I like the cover - especially the type face of the title.

PK HREZO said...

That's a great line!! And it sounds like a great story!

Back to Top