Another Kentucky Derby has come and gone with a new record crowd of 164,858. Congratulations go to the connections of Animal Kingdom, who managed to win even though he had never raced on a dirt track before. Archarcharch was pulled up in the stretch with a fracture to his left front leg, and while his racing days are over, his life was saved through surgery.
There were millions of dollars bet on the Derby, but perhaps one of the most intriguing bets was made by four authors, Brian Farrey, Andrew Smith, Catherine Ryan Hyde and Kimberly Pauley. There was no money involved, but it turned out to be a whole lot of fun to follow the smack talk on Twitter under the hashtag TheBet. The best part is that we will all be privilege to the aftermath. For more information, check out this post by Catherine Ryan Hyde.
I would like to say thank you to Susan Oloier for giving me the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award. And now, in accordance with the rules, I will share seven things about myself:
1. I have a secret crush on a guy at work. Shhh.
2. I hate to sweat and will avoid it at all costs. Probably why my weight loss efforts have never been my greatest successes.
3. I am currently reading three books: Possession by Elana Johnson, Wither by Lauren DeStefano and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I normally do not attempt this but they are all so good! Plus, two are from the library and therefore have due dates.
4. I check my email about one hundred times per day. Seriously.
5. My mom is my best friend.
6. When I'm around someone who is crying I can't help but join them. I wasn't like that before my kids were born.
7. And last, but by no means least, I am a finalist in the wonderful Cherie Reich's Flash Fiction Blogfest. There are only six of us and all of the entries are short by definition so please stop by and vote for your favorite. I've read them all and they are terrific.
Until next time, may your muse be submissive!