24

Flash Fiction Blogfest


Thanks to Cherie of Surrounded By Books for hosting this fantastic blogfest. My entry was inspired by many recent weddings I've watched, Royal and otherwise. I hope you like it, and feel free to crit to your heart's content.

Congratulations

You are cordially invited to the wedding of Ashley Sue Johnson and Donald Alan Hope.

The couple will be married at St. Augustine's in downtown New Albany even though the groom is not Catholic and refuses to convert despite pressure from Diane Johnson, mother of the bride.

Diane will cry throughout the ceremony hoping no one notices that the fabric of her only daughter's gown is tight and puckered across the stomach, especially not the groom, who just last Thursday received a hero's welcome after returning from his extended tour in Afghanistan.

The Hope family will hold the reception at their sprawling estate in Dover Hills, making one last attempt to exploit the class difference between their family and the bride's.

Eleanor Hope, mother of the groom, will graciously entertain questions from friends and family about what her son was thinking by marrying that white trash girl who's slept with half the men in town.

The couple plans to honeymoon in Maui where the bride will swear the baby was conceived, and Donald will hit her for the first time when she asks him why he sits alone in the dark.

We look forward to seeing you on this happiest of occasions.

May God bless and keep them.


I look forward to reading all of the other entries over the weekend. Until next week, happy writing!

24 comments:

Trisha said...

Okay, wow, this was cool/intense - I must confess that anytime I see/hear about a wedding I wonder how/when it's going to end...!

Summer Ross said...

I'd say thats a new twist on invitations! Great piece. I could picture what you wrote and you gave enough information to make me care about it. well done.

dolorah said...

A life story, certainly. Lets hope it doesn't come true for any of the marriages you've witnessed lately :)

........dhole

Rachael Harrie said...

Ooh, that would be rather a scary invitation to receive I think :) Great piece of flash fiction. LOL, you forgot to mention the bride's sister, who'll drink too much, dance on the tables, and end up sleeping with all the groomsmen ;)

Hugs,

Rach

Theresa Milstein said...

Dallas really had that many episodes? I had no idea.

Old Kitty said...

Love it!!!! I think the dispassionate narrative speaks volumes and is all the more powerful for it!!

GREAT STUFF!! More please!! Take care
x

PT Dilloway said...

I'll have to copy that to use if one of my siblings ever gets married again. Excellent.

stu said...

It's a nice take on the wedding invitation, and an interesting approach.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Wow, what an invitation! Definitely atypical. So intense and brutally honest. Great job!

Christine Rains said...

That was fantastic! Oh, to be able to read the hidden text of all wedding invitations.

J.C. Martin said...

Ugh...after a day of planning my own wedding, this was a bit of a depressing read. :( Very well written though!

Kittie Howard said...

Great job! Your funny and intense piece said soooo much. I'm dropping in from the blogfest and am your latest follower.

Cherie Reich said...

Thank you for entering! I'll announce the finalists on Monday on my blog, and I'll drop back by here and give you a comment on your entry then as well.

Unknown said...

Love the humor with a nice dose of reality and seriousness near the end. I have definitely been to similar weddings. :)

Rebecca Dupree said...

Would you please stop writing about my family? Geesh! Acutally, I think that's the wedding announcement for the couple in my story I wrote for the same blogfest! hahahaha

Cally Jackson said...

Great piece of flash fiction. Entertaining and thought provoking. I particularly liked the description of the bride's dress...

Have you seen that Rachel Morgan and I are hosting The Power of Tension blogfest later in May? I'd love to see an entry from you! :-D

Kittie Howard said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by and following! Actually, I spent some time on your blog when I was here earlier - and, wow, a super blog - thought I'd followed you then...that's what I get for getting lost in my head, LOL. But following you now!

Lisa Potts said...

Thanks for all of the great comments! And happy for the follow, Kittie.

Cherie Reich said...

Lisa, I wanted to let you know that you are one of the six finalists for my Flash Fiction Blogfest. A poll is on my blog for people to vote for their favorites.

I loved this piece. It was simple, original, a great take on a wedding announcement. It had me laughing and cringing for the new couple. I even read it to my family I enjoyed it so much. The irony was brilliant, and it was filled with voice and character.

Great job and congrats on being a finalist!

Sonia said...

LOL Hilarious and very original take on the wedding invitation!

Lana said...

That was really great! And congrats on being a finalist :)

Shari said...

Awesome job!

Cherie Reich said...

Lisa, you won my Flash Fiction Blogfest! You have won either a $25 Amazon Gift Card or a 50-page critique. I also have a winner's badge for you on my blog. Please email me with your choice of gift. Congratulations!!

sue said...

ok so I'm late - rather like the bride I guess - been browsing around today and just found this - a fabulous write with just the proper tone - thank you !

Back to Top